2114: West Ryde
Real estate and design
West Ryde has older character homes in Federation and California bungalow styles, built in the early 1900s, while Melrose Park has many 1940 and 1950s cottages.
Distance from CBD:
17.5km north-west of the CBD
Transport to the CBD
Trains to the city from West Ryde station via Strathfield run every 15 minutes in peak hour and every 30 minutes in off-peak times. West Ryde is also well serviced by local buses, the L20 and 501 run to the city, the 523 and 524 to Parramatta, and the 534 runs to Chatswood. From Melrose Park, the 513 service runs near Meadowbank Wharf, where the Rivercat journey takes 45 minutes to reach the city.
Top Ryde Shopping Centre is at the western end of the suburb with over 200 shops, including department stores, a number of large supermarkets, a 16-screen cinema complex and a fitness centre.
Sports and fitness centres
The Ryde Eastwood Leagues Club has a gym and a pool.
Restaurants and cafe's
An ever changing landscape of restaurants but the Top Ryde Shopping Centre has a great range as does the local shopping area. A great Italian restaurant.
Schools and education institutions
There are two local primary schools in West Ryde: the West Ryde Public School on Endeavour Street and Ermington Public School on Winbourne Street. The co-ed Marsden High School is on Winbourne Street. In Melrose Park, Melrose Park Public School is located on Wharf Road. Meadowbank College of TAFE offers courses in business studies, fine arts, information technology, engineering, health and fitness, massage therapy, beauty, nail technology, hairdressing, general education, construction and transport, hospitality, nursing and child studies. Facilities include the See Street Gallery, hair and beauty centre, ship and boat building facilities, a CISCO Regional Academy, sports and fitness centre, massage therapy clinic, language laboratories, and a community services and health training facility, and is located on See Street Meadowbank.
Land was granted in the West Ryde area in 1798 and 1799, these were part of the Meadowbank grants. Major Edward Darvall purchased land in 1849 and built Ryedale House and surrounded it with orchards. The land stayed in the Darvall family until the early 1900s when it was subdivided after the death of Edward Darvall`s second wife Jane. It was the decision to locate the railway station at West Ryde that resulted in the area`s development as a suburb. The railway from Strathfield to Hornsby was opened in 1886.